Here is the latest look at the list of top contenders for the 2011 Kentucky Derby to be run on May 7th at Churchill Downs. The biggest of the graded prep races are yet to come, so there is still tiem to add to their earnings to make the Kentucky Derby field. A few have already dropped out due to injury, and some new players have stepped up who were unraced as two-year-olds, so watch for changes to this list each week. Entries will be taken on May 4 which will give the final answer to who will be in the 2011 Kentucky Derby field.
Below is my first list of contenders with their trainer, jockey, and dosage index. Be sure to click the link on each horse’s name to view full info, stats, and a photo where available. Jockey assignments are based on who has been riding so far and can change drastically as we get farther into the Triple Crown preps. The Experimental Free Handicap was released on January 27, and there are 9 dual qualifiers this year. An asterisk (*) by the name in the list below indicates a dual qualifier. The early Triple Crown nominations, which cost $600, closed on January 22 with 364 nominations. Late nominations, which cost $6000, will close on March 26.
Triple Crown quick links.
- Derby Contender Graded Stakes Earnings – ranks the top contenders by graded earnings. This is what determines who can get in the starting gate on Derby day. Includes earnings through 3/21. Updated!
- Triple Crown Trail – 2011 prep race schedule with results updated weekly. Updated!
- Derby prep race charts and videos – free from DRF
- 2011 Triple Crown Nominations – 364 horses were nominated by the January 22 early deadline.
- Experimental Free Handicap – Ranks the top 2-year-olds for 2010 and determines the dual qualifiers for the 2011 Kentucky Derby.
- Kentucky Derby Future Wager – There will again be three future wager pools for the Derby on Feb. 18-20, March 11-13, and April 1-3. There will be a single pool for the Oaks on March 11-13.
- Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 2 – Wagering is now closed and Uncle Mo, who won his 2011 debut on Saturday, is the favorite at 3-1 with the field next at 7-2. In the only Kentucky Oaks Future, Kathmanblu is the favorite at 7-2. Get the horses, final odds, free past performances, and exact will-pay amounts here.
- Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 1 – Wagering is now closed and the field was the favorite at 2-1 favorite with Uncle Mo next at 7-2. Get the horses, final odds, free past performances, and will-pay prices here.
- Injury Report – who is hurt or off the trail from the Road to the Roses contest
- Derby Weather Forecasts – up to 15 days in advance
- Fillies in the Kentucky Derby – a look at the 39 fillies who have contested the Run for the Roses and how they did. So far there have been 3 wins, 2 seconds, and 5 thirds.
- Kentucky Derby official site – lots of good info and the latest news here
- Louisville Courier Journal coverage – one of your best news sources for the Derby
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania – lots of good info here
- Thoroughbred Times Road to the Triple Crown – contenders, news, stats, and more.
- DRF Kentucky Derby Special – Lots of good info like past winners preps, contenders, past performances, and latest news.
- Review: Kentucky Derby Greatest Moments – Commemorative DVD from Churchill Downs with video from 27 different runnings along with interviews, photos, and historical info. Definitely recommended for any racing fan!
- Review: Churchill Downs – America’s Most Historic Racetrack by Kimberly Gatto. An entertaining and informative account of the history of the track and it’s most famous race, the Kentucky Derby, with lots of photos. Definitely recommended.
- Review: Kentucky Derby Glasses Price Guide – A Comprehensive Guide to Collecting Kentucky Derby Mint Julep Glasses and Shot Glasses edited by Judy Marchman
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz – test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others.
- Derby Tickets and Seats – how to get them and which are the best seats
- 2010 Triple Crown Recap – all 2010 Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont articles including results and photos for all 3 races.
- Triple Crown Index – the master list with even more info
- Send this page to a friend – know someone who would like to see this page? Click here to send them the URL.
Get a head start on handicapping the Kentucky Derby here.
Originally Posted on Horse-Races.net