Kentucky Derby Scratches, Incidents and Disqualifications

Incidents and Disqualifications in the Derby

Despite its justified reputation as a roughly run race, the Kentucky Derby overall has been largely free of riding infractions, fouls and interference. There have only been a few incidents worth investigating by stewards.

Two years ago, Gary and Mary West’s homebred Maximum Security became the first horse actually disqualified from a win during the running of the race for causing interference f the 1 ¼-mile race. The colt, who at the time was trained by Jason Servis and ridden by Luis Saez, crossed the finish line first with Country House checking in second. Jockeys Flavien Prat, who was aboard Country House, and Jon Court aboard 17th-place finisher Long Range Toddy, lodged objections against Maximum Security and Saez. The riders complained that the colt took a hard right turn at the quarter pole, taking several horses who were contending out of the picture for the win.

After a 20-plus minute examination of the incident, Kentucky Horse Racing Commission stewards determined that Maximum Security drifted towards the outside while leaving the final turn and negatively affected rivals War of Will (8th), and, in turn, interfered with Long Range Toddy (17th) and Bodexpress (14th). Maximum Security was disqualified from first and placed 17th behind the lowest-placed horse that he interfered with, Long Range Toddy.

Racing fans would have to go all the way back to 2001 to recall another incident during the Run for the Roses. Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez, who was aboard second-place finisher Invisible Ink, lodged a claim of foul against jockey Jorge Chavez, aboard the winner Monarchos, for alleged interference at the quarter pole. The objection was dismissed by the stewards.

In 1984, fourth-place finisher Gate Dancer, ridden by Hall of Famer Eddie Delahoussaye, was disqualified by the stewards for interference in the stretch against Fali Time, who was ridden by Sandy Hawley. Gate Dancer was placed fifth behind Fali Time, who was bumped up to fourth.

As soon as the race was over in 1975, stewards at Churchill Downs announced an inquiry involving a bumping between runner-up Avatar, ridden by Bill Shoemaker, and third-place finisher Diabolo with Laffit Pincay Jr. in the irons. Foolish Pleasure, who won the race, was not involved. The decision was made not to change the order, since Diabolo was judged to be not at fault.

In 1968, Dancer’s Image finished in front of Forward Pass for the win, but due to a post-race medication positive of phenylbutazone (the anti-inflammatory known as Bute) from Dancer’s Image, the Kentucky State Racing Commission disqualified the horse and ordered the purse be redistributed, naming Forward Pass as the official winner. Second-place money went to Francie’s Hat, third-place money went to T.V. Commercial and fourth-place money went to Kentucky Sherry. For nearly a year, the case wound its way through the court system and in April 1972 the state of Kentucky’s highest court finalized the stewards rulings.

Other incidents in the Derby:

Jockey Bill Boland, who rode runner-up Sword Dancer in 1959, lodged a claim of foul against Tomy Lee, who won by a nice under Bill Shoemaker, for alleged bumping down the lane. The stewards ruled Boland and Sword Dancer as the cause and the objection was dismissed.

The famous “Fighting Finish” Derby was in 1933. The maiden Brokers Tip, ridden by Don Meade, came up the rail and defeated Head Play by a nose. Herb Fisher, aboard Head Play, lodged a claim of foul against the winner, but it was dismissed after the stewards conferred briefly. Wallace Lowry of the Louisville Courier-Journal was lying on the ground just under the rail that day and snapped one of the most famous photographs in the history of the Derby – an image that shows Meade and Fisher holding onto each other as they neared the finish line.

Jimmy Lakeland, the rider of runner-up Kimball in 1880, lodged a claim of foul against the winner, Fonso. The objection was dismissed by stewards.

Margaret Ransom
California native and lifelong horsewoman Margaret Ransom is a graduate of the University of Arizona’s Race Track Industry Program. She got her start in racing working in the publicity departments at Calder Race Course and Hialeah Park, as well as in the racing office at Gulfstream Park in South Florida. She then spent six years in Lexington, KY, at where she helped create and develop the company’s popular newsletters, Handicapper’s Edge and Bloodstock Journal.

After returning to California, she served six years as the Southern California news correspondent for BloodHorse, assisted in the publicity department at Santa Anita Park and and was a contributor to many other racing publications, including HorsePlayer Magazine and Trainer Magazine. She then spent seven years at HRTV and in various roles as researcher, programming assistant, producer and social media and marketing manager. She has also walked hots and groomed runners, worked the elite sales in Kentucky for top-class consignors and volunteers for several race horse retirement organizations, including CARMA.

Margaret’s very first Breeders’ Cup was at Hollywood Park in 1984 and she has attended more than half of the Breeders’ Cups since. She counts Holy Bull as her favorite horse of all time. She lives in Pasadena with her longtime beau, Tony, three Australian Shepherds and one Golden Retriever.