Classic Empire (photo by Robin Buchanan).
- John Oxley’s Classic Empire was made the 4-1 morning-line favorite for Kentucky Derby 143 when post positions were drawn on May 3.
- Royal Mo and Master Plan were entered in the Derby on the also-eligible list and need defections by 9 a.m. on Friday to draw into the field.
- Classic Empire and stablemate State of Honor galloped a mile and a half and schooled in the Churchill Downs gate yesterday.
- Grade 2 Louisiana Derby winner Girvin had his first activity at Churchill Downs with a one mile gallop over the Churchill Downs course on May 3.
- Grade 3 Spiral Stakes victor Fast and Accurate galloped at Churchill Downs for the first time since shipping over from the Trackside training facility the previous afternoon.
- Grade 1 Florida Derby hero Always Dreaming had his third day of training under new exercise rider Nick Bush with a special set of “draw reins” attached to give his pilot more control.
- Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby runner-up Battle of Midway went to the Churchill Downs paddock and galloped on the track Wednesday morning.
- The California-based duo of Gormley and Royal Mo made their first appearances at Churchill Downs on Wednesday morning for trainer John Shirreffs.
- Conditioner Saeed bin Suroor confirmed that Group 2 UAE Derby winner Thunder Snow will race on Lasix for the first time in the Derby.